Checkout the new Ryonet website, it's a great place to learn more about screen printing and where we got all of our blogger screen printing equipment from!

Friday, May 13, 2011

EMULSION

I spent this week working on my computer graphic training, finishing up a very cool design and coating screens for test printing.  I had a little issue with my emulsion so I wanted to do a post about emulsion and the different types that are available.

I currently use DXP Diazo-Photopolymer Dual Cure Direct Emulsion.  This emulsion works great but there are a few things you really need to be aware of when working with it.  This emulsion must be mixed with a sensitizer called diazo before you use it.  The shelf life of unmixed emulsion is 6-8 months but once it is mixed with diazo the shelf life is only 2-3 months.  It is VERY important to DATE your emulsion once it is mixed.  I always put two dates on my emulsion, 1) the date it was mixed, 2) the date it will expire.  My emulsion usually lasts 3 months but this last batch is going bad after only 2 months.  I am not sure why this new batch is going bad faster then the previous batches but it is following its 2-3 month shelf life.

Another important thing is DO NOT mix up a gallon of emulsion if you do not print very often.  I have a small shop and don't print every day or even every week so I only buy emulsion in quarts.  It wouldn't make sense to mix a gallon of emulsion because it would go bad before I could use it all.  I can buy gallons once production increases.

Ryonet has a few new emulsions I wanted to mention.  I plan on giving them a try to see if there is a difference.

"Ryonet HiFi Photopolymer Emulsion is a one part, ready-to-use textile emulsion and is recommended for plastisol inks.  It offers durability  and excellent image quality.  Due to the product's high solids it yields a better coating, thicker stencils, sharper edges and excellent resolution.  HiFi is pre-sensitized and does NOT require the addition of Diazo."

"Ryonet SVP Photopolymer Emulsion is a blue, one part ready-to-use emulsion for bother graphic and textile applications.  This Hybrid Plastisol and Solvent friendly emulsion is great for shops doing all types of printing.  It offers durability, excellent image quality and superior coating characteristics.  due to its hybrid dual-cure/pre-sensitized formula, SVP produces sharper edges and unsurpassed resolution.  This product is pre-sensitized and does not require the addition of Diazo."

"WBP Hybrid Emulsion!  WBP is specially formulated to provide all the best characteristics of dual cure plastisol emulsion with important water resistant properties.  If you're running a lot of water base and discharge but also doing plastisol prints you can use this emulsion for everything.  WBP is easier to use but holds up just as well as other water resistant emulsions.  It also reclaims much quicker and easier which is a huge time and frustration saver!"

I want to try the WBP Hybrid Emulsion.  It makes sense to use a multi-purpose emulsion.  I hope you found this information helpful.  As always, thanks for reading!

Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment