Checkout the new Ryonet website, it's a great place to learn more about screen printing and where we got all of our blogger screen printing equipment from!

Sunday, May 22, 2011

MEETING WITH THE ARTIST

I had my meeting with an artist today.  I gave her a run down of my business and what type of drawing I was looking to have done.  I have already seen her work and am very confident she can draw my designs.  I had two things I was concerned with before I met her.

The first thing I wanted to know was how much each drawing was going to cost.  I am happy to say her price works perfectly with my budget.  She charges $20 per illustration but she will lower the price to $15 if I need a lot of designs done, which I do.  I am very excited.   I contacted a couple artists a few months back and the price ranged from $50-$100 per drawing which isn't bad considering you could make that money back with the sale of a few shirts.  But when you are working with a tight budget it is good to do your research to find a better deal.  The price is right but I had one more big question!

The second thing I wanted to know was if she would be willing to sign a '"WORK-FOR-HIRE" Agreement!  Having an artist sign one of them is extremely important.  I don't want to pay a lot of money for artwork, print shirts, make lots of money and then have someone come to me and say I can no long use their artwork, even though I paid for it.  By signing a "WORK-FOR-HIRE" agreement, the artist is signing over all legal rights to the artwork including the copyright.  Some artists do not want to do that but it is one of my requirements before I pay for artwork.  She agreed to sign one which was terrific.  My two biggest concerns were out of the way.  Now we could proceed with the artwork.

I gave her four designs to start out.  Two of them are my drawings which need a little adjustment and the other two she would create from some examples I gave her.  I am very excited to see how they turn out. 

Here is a link to a great "WORK-FOR-HIRE" agreement if you are interested.

http://www.patentek.com/CM/ResourceLinks/ResourceLinks90.asp

As always, thanks for reading my blog! :)
Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment